Smelting chances

Anything regarding UO or Age of Valor
Nexus Graveheart

Smelting chances

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

Recently, I have renewed my enjoyment of mining that I haven't enjoyed since OSI. However, I have noticed something a little odd with smelting.

I managed to get my hands on a pair of +10 mining gloves, and since then, I have been consistently failing on bronze ore. Which makes no sense. According to UOGuide, bronze is a 100% success with 105 mining, so I am confused. Has the smelting chance been fiddled with on AoV because you can go so far above 105? Or is this some sort of anomaly?

All of the higher ores seem to be working about the same, but I can't be sure, because the chance to smelt those is always below 100%.

Thanks,
Nexus Graveheart

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34063
Death

Smelting chances

Post by Death »

Nexus Graveheart wrote:Recently, I have renewed my enjoyment of mining that I haven't enjoyed since OSI. However, I have noticed something a little odd with smelting.

I managed to get my hands on a pair of +10 mining gloves, and since then, I have been consistently failing on bronze ore. Which makes no sense. According to UOGuide, bronze is a 100% success with 105 mining, so I am confused. Has the smelting chance been fiddled with on AoV because you can go so far above 105? Or is this some sort of anomaly?

All of the higher ores seem to be working about the same, but I can't be sure, because the chance to smelt those is always below 100%.

Thanks,
Nexus Graveheart
Unless red made some kind of change, the success chances are runuo standard (which means they are probably outdated). If you have eaten one of the obsolete power scrolls of mining, then it may interfere with mining bonus gloves as the code was not designed for mining skill above 100%.

If you are failing constantly, the success chance for smelting is either incorrect or the bonus is not being applied properly to smelt chances.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34065
Nexus Graveheart

Smelting chances

No, I was never lucky enough to receive a mining powerscroll before they were discontinued. I am only using real skill plus the 10 from gloves.

Are the RunUO chances different from the OSI chances? I would understand if the chances become a bit skewed, in any direction, if the skill is outside of the specifications of the code. (I guess, not big on code, but mathematically, it seems wrong)

It isn't a huge deal, just a minor inconvenience. I can alway separate the ore into smaller piles to get a better chance at a full yield, it was just something I noticed. I imagine it isn't something that is a big concern at the moment, as I imagine there aren't that many people mining at the moment...so if it is something that can be put off until the new AoV, then so be it.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34066
Red Squirrel

Smelting chances

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually I think I do recall hearing something about the chances being wrong in RunUO. This is something we'll have to revise.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34067
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Nexus Graveheart

Smelting chances

If necessary, I can jump on test and try to compile some sort of percentages...although it'd probably take a rather large test sample to come up with conclusive results, so it would take time and there is likely a much better way. If not, then it would be no problem.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34068
Death

Smelting chances

Post by Death »

Nexus Graveheart wrote: Are the RunUO chances different from the OSI chances?
Rule of thumb, if it wasn't coded or modified in over a year, it is incorrect or inaccurate. OSI makes a lot of modifications and tweaks. You can never get 100% accuracy through reverse engineering, but you can get close.

In terms of mining, the way the resource veins work, the gathering time and smelting chances are all very different than what they are supposed to be. All skills, including mining, will eventually be scaled to more accuracy but in the meantime the only thing I can suggest is to either optimize your mining skill as much as you can to avoid losses, or to lock down the ore until the smelt chances are more precise.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34074
Death

Smelting chances

Post by Death »

Nexus Graveheart wrote:If necessary, I can jump on test and try to compile some sort of percentages...although it'd probably take a rather large test sample to come up with conclusive results, so it would take time and there is likely a much better way. If not, then it would be no problem.
Any AOV test like this would be helpful in terms of scaling as it's compared to official servers and adjusted periodically so the more data we have, the closer accuracy we can obtain.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34075
Anonymous

Smelting chances

Post by Anonymous »

dude you really should have stfu about smelting chances here considering spawn rates for rare ore and smelt chances also are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy higher here then on OSI. And I mean waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy higher.
This isnt the kinda thing I want fixed :P

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34077
onykage

Smelting chances

Post by onykage »

Nexus Graveheart wrote:Recently, I have renewed my enjoyment of mining that I haven't enjoyed since OSI. However, I have noticed something a little odd with smelting.

Thanks,
Nexus Graveheart
that whole system will more then likely get a complete look over nexus. Be happy you didnt. I have a 120 miner base w/0 the gloves because i got my hands on one of the old 120 mining ps's. Let me tell you, is completely fubars the color ore chance. Now it does aid in smelting chance, but mining.. give up on finding val. Not with over 120 mining.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34079
www.onykage.com | www.q3schools.com
If I shoot you in the face with a green thorn, would you spawn an attitude?
Death

Smelting chances

Post by Death »

Drucilia wrote:dude you really should have stfu about smelting chances here considering spawn rates for rare ore and smelt chances also are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy higher here then on OSI. And I mean waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy higher.
This isnt the kinda thing I want fixed :P
Resource gathering from a vein is instant on OSI and does not require 3-5 seconds before obtaining the ore. Therefore, you will get more ore in a shorter time frame as well as a higher chance of getting rare gems.

Although it may be true that finding a vein for a rarer metal is more challenging on OSI if you are using your prospector tools and gargoyle pick axes there's no problem.

Also, the resource veins don't always change when they respawn, it's a pretty low chance so if you find a valorite vein you can tap into it for quite some time before a different ore type respawns.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34081
Anonymous

Smelting chances

Post by Anonymous »

Why don't mining ps drop ne more

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34134
ggkthx

Smelting chances

Post by ggkthx »

What I gather, and this isn't an official response but, the code for mining was never intended to have skill levels that high and it causes weird behavior.
I assume in some fashion mining must be coded differently than some other crafting skills and combat skills so adding skill doesn't give a smooth increase in chances per the formula. And it may be that other crafting skills would have been screwed up by power scrolls too but they rewrote them when they introduced crafting power scrolls so that it wouldn't cause problems, but that was never done on OSI (or in RUNUO) with mining.

That said, I think mining and lumberjacking power scrolls should exist, and would be the bees knees, even if those systems need to be looked at to enable 100+ skill. Mining can already sort of do that with the skill gloves, I wish those existed for lumberjacking too, but for all I know the mining skill gloves do little more than bump smelt % chance or let you pass the colored ore check.

/WallOfText

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34137
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Death

Smelting chances

Post by Death »

Why don't mining ps drop ne more
What I gather, and this isn't an official response but, the code for mining was never intended to have skill levels that high and it causes weird behavior.
I assume in some fashion mining must be coded differently than some other crafting skills and combat skills so adding skill doesn't give a smooth increase in chances per the formula.
That's mainly the reason why they do not drop anymore. The mining power scrolls were originally thought to be a good idea but then we found out that the increased mining skill was not compatible with mining gloves and did not provide a true bonus/benefit to the skill.

The bonus on the mining gloves increased over gm skill without needing a power scroll, which is different from other skill gain items. This skill increase was a special instance which interfered with any skill over 100 mining. The benefit you got from the scroll was contrary to what was expected.

Upon examining the skill further, it was deemed that mining over 100 through power scrolls did not provide enough benefit. Special resource chances are determined by race, and the amount of ore you receive is also determined by race and facet. The only thing that really improved was the smelt chances, but with mining gloves and over 100 skill, it interferes with the real values.

Therefore, they were removed from power scroll drops as they didn't play out as intended. Maybe one day there will be a use for mining power scrolls again but with mining gloves and so many other factors determining your odds with mining, it likely isn't necessary to use more skill points from player templates for mining.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34148
Red Squirrel

Smelting chances

Post by Red Squirrel »

The code for gloves and so on is actually very ugly. It's not a simple skill increase and skill check. when you mine or smelth, it actually looks for that specific item on your person. :o: That's another thing we need to completly recode, as we may want to introduce more mining, lumberjacking etc type items that increase skill, in the future.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5402, old post ID:34150
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!